845.7 GARIBALDI - This location is right on the beach and was named for Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian patriot. Garibaldi was once known as a canning community. A number of fishing docks and other marina facilities are located here today, as well as a Coast Guard station. The classic SP station was built on the east side of the tracks. Whitney Company had a mill here and their trains ran into here from the Kilches River area near Idaville. Northwest Hardwoods (once Garibaldi Lumber) is located here today. Northwest Hardwoods is a Weyerhaeuser business that cuts red alder, pacific coast maple and birch, and ash. They make lumber and components, much of it for furniture manufacturers.
843.8 BARVIEW - Barview was another beach resort in service by 1913. The railroad operates over a long causeway near Barview, giving the train passenger the feel of going to sea. Across the waters to the west can be seen the entrance to Tillamook Bay, as well as the one time resort town of Bayocean. Bayocean was founded in 1907 by the Potter-Chapin Realty Company of Portland and included a large number of buildings, almost all of which were eventually washed away during ocean storms. Barview was founded by William A. Wise and the town included a hotel, store, bakery, barber shop, bowling alley and a number of other businesses by the time it opened. However, like Bayocean, Barview was basically destroyed by high seas in 1915. The lifesaving structure is one of the few original buildings that still exist.
842.2 OCEAN LAKE PARK - Developed by the Bosworth brothers, this development was named for the number of area lakes. In 1916, the name was changed to Ocean Lake. Later, it was shortened to Oceanlake.
841.9 TWIN ROCKS - Twin Rocks was named for the two large rocks that stand about 100 feet high in the Pacific Ocean. A post office existed in this resort town from May 1914 to March 1954.
841.2 SALTAIR - In 1913, development efforts in the area moved a short distance from Tillamook Beach to this location. The name Saltair supposedly came as part of an effort to promote the idea of a “salubrious” climate. The name was chosen by Frank Fields and Eugene Hartmus when they bought the property from the Alderman family about 1912. By the way, I checked. Salubrious means conducive or favorable to health or well-being.
841.1 TILLAMOOK BEACH - This location was developed as a vacation location in conjuction with the Pacific Railway & Navigation Company. The many small developments in this area pretty much merged over the years and Tillamook Beach is often shown as being at milepost 841.6. Today the area is generally known as Elmore Park.
840.9 ROCKAWAY - This was a major tourist attraction named for Rockaway Beach on Long Island in New York. Cottages were located everywhere in the area and during the summer tent cities went up to provide meals and lodging for the thousands of passengers dropped off by the many special trains hauling people to the beaches. The town was founded by the Rockaway Beach Company. In 1987, the town changed its name to the more stylish Rockaway Beach.
840.0 LAKE LYTLE - This is one of the choice beaches in Tillamook County. The lake and hotel were named after Elmer Elm Lytle, president and builder of the Pacific Railway & Navigation Company, who married May Enright (notice Enright station at milepost 811.0). The original log cabin station and hotel were built within a few years of the opening of the railroad. The original station location is now in the middle of highway U.S. 101.
839.3 MANHATTAN BEACH - Early reports indicate that the name was used to create interest in land in the area. It was also joked that the name came from its promoters to indicate that it was a “watering place” for those looking for a drink. A port office existed here from 1914 to 1975.
838.6 HADDON - A one-time beach stop, the Haddon area is today called Nedonna Beach.
836.0 BRIGHTON BEACH - Brighton Beach was once the site of a planned community designed to serve the vacation market. The town was named after Brighton, which was a fashionable seashore resort on the south coast of England. In 1911, the Watt interests of Bay City purchased area property for a sawmill, which finally closed in 1926. However, during World War I, the mill was credited with producing more spruce lumber for aircraft than any other mill in the country.
833.6 WHEELER - Wheeler was named after the huge Wheeler Lumber Company sawmill complex, founded by lumberman Coleman H. Wheeler, that was once located here on the Nehalem Bay/River. The mill first opened in 1895 and lasted until the early 1930s when it closed due to the depression. Other mills operated here until the 1970s. Track materials were delivered to the docks at Wheeler in 1910 and rail was laid in both directions to speed up construction. However, while Wheeler provided ties for construction, frequent mill shutdowns meant that wooden ties were actually hauled from other mills to this location!